Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Dr. Visits

Logan has had a few doctor visits since we brought him home from the hospital. His first was scheduled for the following Monday after we brought him home on Friday. I was very anxious to get Logan in to his first appointment that Monday because over the weekend while Kiley was here we noticed that the whites of his eyes were a little bit yellow. He was born with a very pretty, tan skin tone, but by Sunday his face was looking pretty orange and the whites of his eyes were definitely yellow. I called the doctor's office and got a call back from the after hours nurse. She asked if he was eating and going to the bathroom regularly (which he was) & she said to monitor his temperature (which was normal) and make sure that his arms and legs weren't turning yellow like his face (which they weren't). She said she thought that it should be okay to wait until my appointment the next day as long as he was acting normally and not feverish or turning more yellow on his arms and legs. Although I felt a little better, I was still worried and ready to see what Dr. Day had to say about it.

Jacob and I loaded up the truck and went to Logan's appointment on Monday, July 29, 2013. I think I really like Logan's pediatrician Dr. Day.  He seems very nice and is at the same practice as Barrett, Remi & Roen's doctor. At this appointment, he was 5 days old. He weighed 7 lbs 6.4 oz and was in the 38th percentile of weight. This is very close to the 7 lbs 7 oz he weighed leaving the hospital. Dr. Day said it was normal for babies to still not be back to their birth weight by this time. He actually called Logan a "big guy" :-) He said that although Logan was slightly jaundiced, he was not worried about it and thought it would go away soon on its own. He made me feel a lot better and showed me how to check the color in his legs and compare it to his face to make sure the jaundice was getting better instead of worse.

Dr. Day examining Logan at his first appointment. He was only 5 days old!

Logan's second doctor visit was his two week checkup on August 7, 2013.  At this appointment he was exactly 2 weeks old. He weighed 8 lbs 6.4 oz (49th percentile). He was 21" long (75th percentile). His head was 36cm (57th percentile). Overall he is fairly average sized :-) His jaundice was much much better...almost completely gone! Since this appointment was the same day that Jacob had to start back to work, my sister Kiley came with me to help. She carried Logan in his car seat and got in a few snuggles while waiting for the doctor.  

Ready for his two week checkup!

Snuggle baby

 The next day, August 8, 2013, was my two week doctor checkup and I also took Logan get his PKU test. This was our first trip out of the house with just the two of us! I was a little nervous and way over-packed the diaper bag, but everything went great! He was very good during my checkup. I had to feed him while I was waiting since Dr. Asis got held up doing a C-Section. Then we headed next door to the hospital for his PKU test. They had to prick his heel and take blood. :-( He didn't like being woken up and put into the little bed, but I gave him a paci and it calmed him right down. He only cried for less than 10 seconds after they pricked his heel and then was very good while they squeezed his heel and collected his blood on the card. I was so proud of him!

Sleeping during my checkup

He had been sleeping peacefully before I put him in the bed...

Happy baby after getting his foot pricked!

No comments:

Post a Comment