Sunday, August 25, 2013

First Outings

We took Logan to Babe's Restaurant in Sanger on Sunday, August 11, 2013 to celebrate all of the August birthdays with my family. This was his first trip out of the house that wasn't to a doctor's office. I was a little nervous, but I was armed with plenty of hand sanitizer! Logan was perfect! I fed him in the car after we got there so that he would be full and happy.  This turned out to be a great strategy because that's exactly what we got...a happy baby! He stayed in his car seat stroller the whole time and stared for quite a while until he eventually fell asleep.

After this initial trip, Logan and I went to Hobby Lobby and Kroger with Kiley and Barrett the next day, Monday August 12, 2013. Then Logan and I went to Babies R Us on Wednesday, August 14, 2013. He was really good for both outings. Since these trips were so successful,  I feel I can take him anywhere without worrying about how he will behave! (As long as I feed him just before we go & I keep the whole trip under 3 hours!)  I'm sure he will have a melt down in public eventually, but for now I'm going to keep my hopes high that we will keep having easy outings for as long as possible!

His pediatrician told me it was fine to take him out of the house as long as he was covered and I didn't let people touch him. It also helps that it is not cold & flu season. He did say it is better to wait until he is 6 weeks old to take him somewhere like church or up to my work to show him off since people will want to touch him at places like that. I have had several requests from coworkers for me to bring Logan up to see everyone, but it will be a couple more weeks! One thing I didn't know...if a baby under 6 weeks old gets a fever they immediately do a spinal tap and admit them to the hospital! They don't mess around with the chance of meningitis in a newborn...every day untreated can mean brain damage! Plus this measles outbreak has me just a bit worried.  So, although Logan has been a perfect angel, I will still keep our trips out short and try to expose him as little as possible to too many people at a time until he is a little older.

Me and Logan at Babe's

This is what he did most of the time...trying to take in his new surroundings!


No comments:

Post a Comment